Jun 09, 2017
I have always been a big fan of solar energy. I love the idea of getting energy from the sun which led me to install solar panels on my house back in 2006. Also, when Mosaic launched their solar investment offering back in 2013 I was one of the first people to jump in (they no longer offer this product). So, when I first heard about Wunder Capital I was curious to learn more.
My next guest on the Lend Academy Podcast is Bryan Birsic. He is the CEO and co-founder of Wunder Capital, a fintech company focused on solar financing for commercial projects. They provide institutional and accredited investors (minimum investment of $1,000) with the ability to invest in commercial solar projects.
In this podcast you will learn:
- Bryan’s background in fintech and why he moved from New York City to Boulder, Colorado.
- How the idea for Wunder Capital germinated.
- The niche within solar that has been underserved in the past five years.
- The kinds of businesses they focus on for solar financing.
- The typical payback period for commercial solar installations today.
- Their approach to underwriting the business as well as the solar system.
- Why they believe in a human-based approach to underwriting.
- How to think about the solar assets should a borrower default.
- Details of the two different investment products they offer.
- The mechanics of how their investment vehicle operates.
- The volume of projects they have done to date.
- Who the investors are today and how the mix is changing.
- Bryan’s thoughts on adding a non-accredited investor offering.
- What is coming soon for Wunder Capital.